What is a Varicocele?
Varicocele is the condition in which the veins in the testes are enlarged due to faulty valves quite similar to varicose veins of the leg. The enlargement is in the scrotum. They affect the pampiniform plexus which supplies blood to the testis. The architecture of the pampiniform plexus is such that it wraps around the testicular artery which brings blood to the testis. The function of the pampiniform plexus is to reduce the temperature of the blood going to the testis. The sperm formation is most optimum at around 34.5 degrees Celsius, rather than the body’s standard 37 degrees Celsius.
This is one reason why the testes hang in the scrotum away from the body. The main role of the pampiniform plexus is to cool the arterial blood before it reaches the testis. It does this through a “heat exchange” mechanism.
Varicoceles disrupt this cooling system. This can prevent the testicles from producing sperm.
Causes of Varicoceles
- Defective valves in the vein in the scrotum above the testis. These valves regulate the blood flow to the testis
- This may result in high blood temperature
- High blood temperature affects the production of sperms and causes damage to the sperms
- Pain: The patient experience pain over the affected areas on prolonged sitting or standing. Lifting something heavy causes discomfort or pain in the affected veins.
- Infertility: One of the common sign the patient faces is the problem of fertility.
- Testicular Atrophy: That is shrinkage of the testicles, is one of the common signs of Varicoceles.
No treatment is required unless there is:
- Pain and discomfort,
- Low sperm count
- Unexplained Infertility that has continued for more than 2 years
In such cases, surgery may be recommended.
Varicocele Surgery: For surgery there are two approaches
- The surgery is carried under general anesthesia or some time under local anesthesia. An incision is made above the scrotum to access to the veins. A ligature is put to regulate the blood flow to the testis. This can also be done with a laparoscope.
- This procedure can be carried out on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia.
The procedure involves insertion of, a small size tube in the blood vessel in the groin region via small nick over the skin. The tube is moved to the abdomen area to fix the veins using X ray imaging. This procedure is called varicocele embolization.
Benefits of Varicocele Embolization
Varicocele embolization is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure:
- Requires only local anesthesia
- No scarring
- Success rates of 90%,
- Quicker recovery time
- Reduced risk of infection
- It is the same day procedure,
- Allowing you to recover at home.
SPERM DONATION AS THE LAST RESORT AS A BACKUP PROCEDURE
Even after all these exploratory procedures to retrieve sperms from epididymis or testis, there is still a chance that there are no sperms. The only avenue left is Sperm donation.
Treatment of sperm retrieval at Delhi IVF has high success rates and our specialists deal with our patients very carefully and in a friendly manner keeping in mind the need for privacy as a priority. So you can easily go through the whole treatment.
If you are looking for the best centre for male infertility treatment in Delhi, where you can undergo effective treatment under one roof, and then come to Delhi-IVF. Our clinic happens to be one of the most reputed and renowned fertility clinics in Delhi, we provide the best treatment as these surgical procedures are performed by an expert andrologist.