IVF (In Vitro Fertilization)
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is the ART technique used for infertility treatment. IVF process involves, manually combining an egg and sperm in a laboratory dish and then the developed embryo is transferred to the lady’s uterus.
Why is IVF Done?
For infertile couples, IVF is a blessing. This assisted reproductive technology helps couples to fulfil their dream of having a family of their own.
IVF help couples in case of:
- Ovulation disorders.
- Blockage of the fallopian tubes.
- Uterine causes
- Help in avoiding some genetic disorders.
- Male factor infertility
Risks and Hazards of IVF
Probably, no medical treatment is free from risks or some complications. However, before going for a treatment it is important for a patient to have information about the risk factors associated with IVF.
Some Risk factors are
- Multiple Pregnancy.
- Ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (OHSS).
- Egg-retrieval procedure complications.
- General Anesthetic and intravenous sedation.
Factors of Infertility Treatment – When you Should Consult with Infertility Specialist
In majority of cases, most couples conceive naturally, but in some case they do not conceive for a year, then it is advisable to see and discuss with your doctor. If with the doctor’s advice and medication, you still cannot become pregnant, it is time to go the infertility specialist.
Specially if :
- If you’re already 35 and above and trying to conceive for the past six months without any results.
- If your periods are irregular or completely absent.
- If you’ve crossed the age of 40 yrs.
- If you know about your fertility problem.
- If you had multiple miscarriages in the past.
- If you were/are a cancer patient.