WHAT IS EGG (OOCYTE) FREEZING PROCEDURE?
Human oocyte cryopreservation or Egg Freezing is a technique in which a woman can freeze their eggs when the quality and number of eggs is good for future use. This allows women to postpone their fertility till, due to various personal reasons (careers, financial problems, marital issues, broken marriages etc).
By this egg freezing treatment woman’s oocytes are extracted and kept frozen until the woman is ready to become pregnant, so that after taking the decision to have a baby the frozen eggs can be thawed, which are then transplanted into the uterus for implantation and pregnancy.
Delhi IVF – A Leading Egg Freezing Centre in India
You want to know more? about egg freezing, or you may have other question relevant to your own needs Please feel free to call our doctors that can help you give more details about your case.
A recent trend seen in IVF clinics is that more and more young women are coming with low AMH and less antral reserve than normal women. The trend shows similarity to the trend noticed in males having low sperm count. It is recommended that young women watch this trend pay more attention to AMH levels, and freeze their eggs while the going is good for fertility preservation till late.
|Ex Miss INDIA Diana Hayden had a second pregnancy from eggs frozen eight years ago. She gave birth to a girl child.|
Her first child was also born from a frozen egg. Read more here
Is Egg Freezing Treatment for you?
At Delhi IVF, we prescribe Egg Freezing treatment to our patients in some situations such as,
- Severe hyperstimulation (Ovarian hyperstimulation), the eggs may be frozen for future use.
- Due to unexpected/ miscellaneous reasons, fertilization of the eggs which have already been retrieved is not taking place (Semen sample not available, etc).
- A woman herself wants to preserve her eggs for future use.
The procedure starts as in IVF treatment. Women are stimulated with hormones to produce a number of eggs (supra ovulation) so that we can collect a sufficient number of eggs. The eggs are retrieved and frozen by vitrification in the lab and then stored under appropriate conditions and can be used in future when required.
- Day 21 (of the previous cycle):Inj- Superfact /Decapeptyl is started to downregulate the pituitary. Uterine sounding assesses the length and direction of the cervical canal.
- Day 2 (Day after periods): estrogen and LH levels are estimated to confirm, downregulation. (need to change this red marked line) If E2 levels are low, a check scan is done to look for cysts, and the stimulation is started.
- Day 5-13 (approx): Follicle sizes are measured periodically to assess the growth of follicles, levels of E2 and LH are also measured in blood.
Alternate / every 3rd-day scans determine the growth of follicles. When 3 follicles are larger than 18mm, Inj HCG is given an egg pickup is done after 35 hours. In the ovum pick up procedure, the follicular fluid is aspirated and the eggs are separated from the same under a microscope to be used for the vitrification procedure.
- Day 2: The injections are started from day 2 of menses and periodical measurements of the follicle size and the blood levels of hormones and checked and once ready the ovum pick up procedure is carried out.The doctor decides the protocol and mode of treatment after a detailed assessment.